Born in July 1950, into a family of renowned doctors and naturopaths, becoming a doctor seemed like the obvious career path for Dr. B. Bapuji.
Having spent most of his childhood in the premises of the Nature Cure Hospital, a 150 bed ward hospital developed by his parents, Dr. B. Venkat Rao and Dr. B. Vijayalakshmi in 1969, Dr. Bapuji had the opportunity to see firsthand, the effects of naturopathy and its benefits.
Armed with a Bachelor’s Degree in Botany, Zoology and Chemistry and an M.B.B.S by 1977, Dr. Bapuji had a clear aim in his mind – Naturopathy. Graduating as one of the first to have taken up as Naturopathy as a career in India, he was appointed as the ‘Doctor on special duty’ to handle complicated cases and emergencies for the patients undergoing treatment at the Nature Cure Hospital in 1980.
He became the Superintendent in 1985 and was also appointed as Dean, Faculty of Indian Medicine (Naturopathy), in 1987 by the University of Health Sciences, Andhra Pradesh. The Hospital and Gandhi Nature Cure College were subsequently taken over by the government and during this tenure; he revised the government salaries, and upgraded the existing diploma course to a degree course, i.e. the Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (B.N.Y.S), which was the first University recognized degree course in the world.
He was a keen flier and was the only cadet out of nine to have done SOLO flying on a single engine Propeller aircraft in 1970 while in National Cadet Corps. He has also learnt to play the Sitar, a classical Instrument.
He was initiated to public speaking and training by late Sri K.V.K. Raju, founder of Nagarjuna group of Industries, who was and continues to be his Guide, Friend, and Philosopher.
Doctor on special duty, Chief Medical Officer, Superintendent, Principal, Dean – his talent knew no bounds. The man was on a mission. He gave the system of naturopathy a scientific approach, specifying its scope and limitations. His approach of practice is an integrated one, and in the best interests of people is kept in mind, while restoring health.
A visiting guest faculty on the subject of ‘Executive Health and Stress management’ for a number of institutions such as,
- Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI)
- Engineering Staff College of India (ESCI)
- National Police Academy (NPA)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Institution of Development
- Banking (JNIDB)
- Center for Organizational Development (COD)
- State Bank Staff Training College
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
- College of Insurance and Financial Planning (CIFA)
- Global Trust Bank
- National Industries Security Academy (NISA)
- Tata group of Industries
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
- Bharat Heavy Electrical Limited (BHEL)
- National Aluminium company Limited (NALCO)
- Power Grid Corporation
- Satyam Computers Ltd
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) and many other institutions…
He has also published papers on
- Popular Misconceptions of Naturopathy
- Can We really afford to be Overweight
- 25 Minutes Yoga for You for physical fitness for people between 10 years to 60 years of age. The booklet contains 10 minutes special spinal exercises for lower back and neck problems.
- Role of Naturopathy in Drugless Therapies in INDIA.
- Naturopathy for common Diseases
- Audio visual presentation 146 ppt Slides on “Health and Stress Management.
His book on Executive Health/Stress Management has received much appreciation from everyone.
He plans to publish books on Naturopathy for Common Diseases and also Indian Vegetarian recipes, to take his love for cooking one step further.
The whole family, starting from his parents Late Dr. B. Venkatrao and Late Dr. B. Vijayalakshmi were renowned naturopaths,his younger brother is also practicing Naturopathy in Hyderabad and the youngest brother is a medical oncologist (hematology) in USA. His wife, Dr. Rani Bapuji has been managing Nature Cure Health Care Center since it’s inception. They have two children, Lavanya and Aditya.
Currently, he is the practicing consultant at Nature Cure Health Care Center along with his son, Dr. Aditya Bapuji and also the medical advisor to Nagarjuna Group of Industries.